Recipe First – I really dislike having to scroll for a recipe
Hot milk cake is not really a fluffy cake, but more of a dense cake. It is delicious served with coffee or tea, and also ice cream.
Ingredients you will need
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Set oven to 325 degrees. Grease the pan you would like to use. (I use a bundt pan.)
- Pour the milk and vanilla into a saucepan and place it on the stovetop. Add the butter to the saucepan and heat the butter, vanilla, and milk over low heat. Don’t forget to mix it every once in a while. A very slow simmer is fine, but don’t let it boil or burn.
- In one bowl mix the sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes. In a second bowl mix all of the remaining dry ingredients. (Flour, salt, and baking powder.)
- Once the eggs and sugar are mixed slowly pour in the hot milk mixture and stir.
- Then slowly add the dry ingredients in. (I usually pour half of the mixture in, mix, then pour the other half in.)
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. You will know it’s done when you stick a toothpick in it and the toothpick comes out clean.
- When done let the cake cool for about 10-15 minutes. Then you can plate it and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Now for my heartfelt recipe back story
I had never had or heard about Hot Milk Cake until I met my husband around 10 years ago. (Apparently, it is a popular cake to make in the Mid-Atlantic.) His Grandmother would make it for him for almost every special occasion. It’s one of those dishes that when you make it the dish reminds you of Grandma and brings back tons of memories. It is the epitome of comfort food in my house. If you have never had it give the above recipe a try and tell me what you think!