This Salt Dough Starfish DIY Craft Inspired By The Patrick Star Show S1 V1 post is sponsored by Nickelodeon. All opinions are my own.
A little bit of the sea at home!
Some of the best crafts are the ones kids can take hours making. Not because it actually takes that long to make the craft, but because they are having so much fun making it they don’t want to stop. My kids loved making these salt dough starfish so much. They spent hours kneading and rolling out the dough. I had to remind them there were other steps to the craft that we needed to do. Haha! We will definitely be making this craft again while watching the new The Patrick Star Show S1 V1 DVD. You can find all of the supplies and directions needed to make your own Salt Dough Starfish DIY Craft Inspired By The Patrick Star Show S1 V1 below.
- 2 cups of Flour
- 1 cup of Salt
- 1 cup of Water
- Parchment paper
- Baking pan
- Mixing Bowl and spoon
- Rolling pin
- Star Cookie Cutters
- Butter Knife
- Optional Supplies: Paint, Mod Podge, and Paint Brushes
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper
- Mix 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly mix in 1 cup of water. (Best if done a Tablespoon at a time.)
- Knead the dough to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Set the dough back in the mixing bowl and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Once your dough has had a chance to rest roll it out to 1/6” at least. (You can do it thinner, but it will be more prone to breakage.)
- Once your dough is rolled out cut out the star shapes using your star cookie cutter.
- Using your butter knife and toothpick create your starfish design. Using a toothpick create a hole at the top of 1 arm (or ray) big enough for you to be able to pass your string through once done. Using your butter knife gently press down a line on each arm of your starfish from the top point almost to the center of the starfish. Next, using a toothpick lightly poke holes on either side of the lines creating your starfish unique design.
- Once you are done creating your starfish designs use your knife to transfer your salt dough starfish to your parchment-lined pan.
- Bake your salt dough starfish at 250 degrees for 2 hours. (This slowly dries out and hardens your salt dough starfish.)
- When your salt dough starfish are done and cooled tie loops of string through each of the top holes you created. Then you can easily slide each salt dough starfish onto a much longer string and they will lay facing you.
- Optional: Your salt dough starfish will last a while as is, but you also have the option to paint your starfish as well as paint them with mod podge so they last even longer!
Other Nickelodeon-inspired DIY crafts
Looking for more crafts to make inspired by your favorite Nickelodeon of Nick Jr. Shows? Make sure to check out my DIY Rescue Knights Shield and Armor Craft and my DIY Lift Flap Book Craft Inspired By Blue’s Clues & You!